Montreal’s Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours) is one the most recognizable buildings in Old Montreal. The Bonsecours Market is one of Montreal’s most beautiful and historic buildings. It is named after a nearby church that also shares the same name Notre-Dame de Bonsecours, also known as the sailors church. The building has served as a public market, a concert hall, a meeting hall, Montreal’s city hall and even the Parliament of Lower Canada. Today, the market is quite popular with tourists and features a wide selection of cafés, bistros and restaurants. Shops inside the market stock everything from Inuit art and locally made jewelry to luxurious made-in-Canada beaver coats.
History of The Bonsecours Market
The Marché Bonsecours was first opened in 1847. It eventually became a public market in 1859. It briefly served as Montreal’s City hall from the 1850s to the 1870s. The building features large silver dome that is quite impressive and can be seen from many parts of Old Montreal, including the Old Port. over the years, the market has become the tourist and cultural heart of Old Montreal.
Views from The Bonsecours Market
The Market provides some fantastic views of the Saint Lawrence River. There are various activities and free exhibitions held at the market year-round. Because of the various activities held at the market year-round, hundreds of thousands of visitors come to the market each year. Marché Bonsecours is a wonderful place to enjoy a little shopping, mixed with a bit of Canadian history.